Status: Available Now
Founded in Cork in 2008 and a fast-growing presence in Dublin City since the launch of the first ‘GoCar base’ in 2010, GoCar is the motoring equivalent to the Dublin Bikes Scheme: Just book your car online, hop in, take the keys, and Go.
Dublin City’s ‘GoCar’ scheme is a critical part of the sharing economy in the city. It is a real-life example of “mobility as a service”, and a critical element of Dublin’s drive to become the world’s best smart city.
Core objectives & benefits
Designing and encouraging smart alternative transport options is a critical element of the smart city concept, and the GoCar scheme has been a game-changer in this regard.
Why? Because as Ireland’s first car-sharing initiative, not only does it contribute to sustainable transport – resulting in lower emissions – it also gives all of the benefits of car ownership without any of the associated costs.
How it works
It couldn’t be simpler:
1. Register online at www.gocar.ie and receive your GoCard
2. Book a car (select the time and the station you want to collect it from)
3. Swipe your GoCard over a reader (visible from the windscreen) to open the car
4. Enter a unique PIN into a handheld device which holds the key inside
5. Drive away just like you would in any car!
Although the concept of smart, alternative transport is a phenomenon that’s still fresh, young and emerging, already the ‘Go Car’ project has been an enormous success in Dublin and Cork as these facts and figures illustrate:
- Over 3500 people have already signed up to the ‘GoCar’ scheme between the two cities
- 28% of existing members already own a car, but 6% say they are intent on selling it
- 54% previously owned a car – a figure which indicates that increasing numbers of people want the benefits of car ownership without the financial burden
- Go Car is currently working with Dublin City Council and Irish Rail to integrate the service with trains coming into each city
E-Mobility as a Service
As GoCar has developed over the last few years they have increased the size of their fleet quite dramatically. In-line with the Smart Docklands focus on reducing emissions and energy usage in the district, GoCar have now added several electric vehicles.
*Find out more about Go Car at www.gocar.ie
Do you find this project interesting? If you have any ideas of projects which might benefit the Docklands, let us know todayGet in Touch